Skip to main content

Shlichus 54

56. Another couple of our acquaintance, with whom we became very close friends over the years, were a young guy and gal who we originally connected with in Michigan State University in East Lansing Michigan. Eventually they married and moved to Florida. For more than 45 years, Scott and Sandy Colish have kept connected with us and our bond keeps getting stronger. He lately sent me this story, as he remembers it: On New Years’ Eve, Dec. 31, 2003, at about 11pm, we were on South Beach, when Sandy asked me, “Hey, have you spoken with the Rabbi lately?” Replying that I hadn’t, she suggested that I give him a call. “Dude, what’s up?” “I need $1,700…a loan will do, but I need to pay for a ticket to observe my mother’s Yahrzeit in Israel.” Not a completely atypical greeting, but I told him I would need to discuss that with Sandy. She said that would be OK as a loan, so I transferred the money over the phone via VISA. His reply, “OK…got it…click.” A few weeks later, while repaying the loan in cash, I had to ask about his demeanor…or lack thereof. “Dude, a modicum of gratitude would have been in order…that was even odd for you!” The explanation of Divine Providence began: “First of all, let me apologize if I was rude. My travel agent, a Satmar Chosid, was really stretching to hold my ticket and suggested I go to the Rebbe and ask for a brocho. I went to the Ohel, prayed for help, and went back to where I was staying and sat by the phone and waited for the Rebbe’s help. Secondly, it was no surprise to me to receive the call… after all, the Rebbe can work very fast. Thirdly, the Rebbe reached out to Sandy to be part of this mitzvah to honor my mother by observing her Yahrzeit to the best of my ability.” Sandy and Scott Colish Friends since '74...Michigan State University

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klipa vs Kedusha

68. A Bewitching Story:   In order to appreciate my next story, I want to first tell a story told by Rabbi Yosef Wineberg a”h, who travelled the world as the Rebbe’s shliach. Although in today’s age such stories are much less prevalent than in the past, there are still such things happening and especially in South American countries (I believe in Africa as well) where people are very heavily involved in the occult. In a certain South American country there was a woman who was a large donor to Lubavitch institutions through Rabbi Wineberg’s efforts. One day she shared the following story with Rabbi Wineberg: Her husband had died and after the period of mourning, she needed to get her life back in order, especially her financial situation. Her husband basically had left all the necessary documents and papers in order, and so it was generally well organized. However, when she came upon a certain aspect of the finances, one that was related to a large amount of money, she could ...

cultbusting

Rabbi Lipszyc's Story of the week 64. The 1960’s were the time of the rise of the “Hippie” generation. That was a time when many youth rebelled and rejected conventional and familial values. While the leaders from all spectrums of Judaism threw their hands up in despair, The Rebbe lauded the youth’s rejection of their parents’ complacence in accepting a lack in spiritual interest. The Rebbe encouraged the shluchim to take advantage of the generation’s search for meaning in life and offer them the experience of a lifestyle of Torah and mitzvos. Thus, began what became known as the Baal Teshuvah Movement with a bang and zest. However, Satan wasn’t yet ready to concede failure, so in the 1970’s a new problem with the youth arose. The proliferation of cults, false gods and so-called religions that relied heavily on mind control. Youths searching for spiritual highs flocked to these cults en masse. Unfortunately, many Jewish teenagers were caught up in this wave. One day, while I wa...

shlichus continued

Rabbi Lipszyc's story of the week. Sponsored in honor of Dovid & Devorah Leah's Aufruf / Shabbos Kallah Even before we actually left to Michigan, on our first official shlichus, there were three ‘mini’ shlichusim that we went on. Each one came with its own adventure. The first one actually started before we were married. Rabbi Kastel used to send bochurim to make Shabbatons in different communities around Long Island. In one of the towns there was an interesting phenomenon. Whatever bochurim went to that town for Shabbos became chasanim right afterwards. (Not to girls from that place!  ;-)  )  So it was somewhat humorous when Rabbi Chaim Moshe Bergstein and I went to that particular town, and sure enough not long afterwards we both became chasanim as well. While in that town for Shabbos, I made a special Shabbos afternoon party for the children, a "mesibos Shabbos," as it was called. I taught the children about the portion of the week, told them stories and taug...